Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Holiday Travel & The Guilt Trip

So.... Flew home last Tuesday night. Had Thanksgiving lunch with Mom, Dad and Aunt M.

Went to church and had lunch with Aunt N, Uncle G, Cousins D & L and their three kids who have grown so much in the last year and a half... Unbelievable.

Got a new winter jacket (needed desperately).

Loved a puppy dog and a kitty cat.

Visited with parents and helped them plan a holiday party. This will be the first party they've hosted since about 1976. They're really excited.

I decorated their/our Christmas tree.

Got up at 3am on Monday morning to catch my 6am flight back here... got to the airport and right before my plane was to board they asked for volunteers to take a later flight. I volunteered and got a free round trip ticket and upgraded to first class on the flight from DFW to MSP. As it turns out someone on the plane got sick... or something... two EMT's rolled their gurney onto the plane and there was quite a delay. The plane didn't leave the gate until 20 minutes after it was supposed to take off so I most likely would have missed my very close connecting flight.

My poor Dad had been home 15 minutes when I called and he very kindly came back to get me. I went back home for a nap, lunch with Mom and then hung out at their shop for a while. At 3:00pm my Dad took me back to the airport for my 5:30pm flight.

I got to MSP around 8:30pm-ish. I booked-it to the other side of the airport and waited for my flight home. Right when they were starting to board the plane they announced that they were skipping my town and going straight to the last stop (north of here). Apparently the weather here was too nasty. They told us that we could fly on up to Thief River Falls and find our own way home or they could try to rebook us but it might be up to two days. Aaaah!

I wound up getting on the 9:10am flight Tuesday and spending the night in a hotel right next to the airport (read: loud planes flying over me all night long).

Arrived at 10:30am, came home, changed clothes, grabbed a snack and made it to my 12:00pm class.

Weeee!

Now comes the guilt trip.

When I came home the first time kitty wouldn't be quiet. She squawks instead of meowing. She followed me around the apartment going "Yeow! Yeow! Yeow! Yeow! Yeow!" And I was only able to love her for 10 minutes before I had to leave for class.

I got back around 5pm and I could hear her crying at the door when I was walking down the hallway. Very unusual. She followed me around again... squawking. I held her in my lap for quite a while and she kept climbing up and head-butting me in the face. If I left the room she would start squawking. And the saddest thing ever... she fell asleep, sitting on the couch (next to me) and woke up crying and looking around for me. Like a baby. Seriously.

Last night I barely got any sleep because she kept head-butting me and crawling on top of me (when a 15lb cat crawls on top of you - you know it).

I had Aya stop by every other day to check on her, feed her, pet her... but even today she is following me around squawking. She was truly traumatized by my leaving her alone for 6 days.

I'm a baaaaad mommy.