Sunday, December 07, 2008

A billionaire and his wife...

Back in July, I wrote about the Mustang Sanctuary I visited with my father: Mustangs

Last week, while we were in New Mexico, my parents told me of a story they'd heard about Madeleine Pickens, wife of billionaire T. Boone Pickens. Mrs. Pickens...

"... dramatically stepped in to come to the aid of the animals. She offered to adopt not only the 2,000 mustangs and burros, but the entire herd of 30,000 unwanted horses that were rounded up by BLM and are kept on federal land. The BLM agreed to work with Mrs. Pickens to locate an area of federal land that she could rent or purchase for the animals. The Pickens are lifelong animal lovers and advocates who are responsible for ending the slaughterhouse industry for horses in the United States."

Thank you Mrs. Pickens. On behalf of myself and all the other people who desperately wanted to help but were not able to, thank you.

I could hug that woman.