Friday, February 25, 2011

Tuesday night I was in the kitchen making dinner when I heard a loud hack sound in the living room.

I went in there to see what it as and Kaylee was looking at me really strangely. When I spoke to her she just sat there.... no tail wagging or head tilting.... so I knew something was wrong.

I got down on the floor and felt her chest and she wasn't breathing. I had just fed her dinner so I figured she was choking on a piece of food (she tends to inhale her food).

I had a moment of panic and then I did the only thing I knew to try - the heimlich maneuver. It didn't work at first.... it took several tries, but finally she spit out one piece of food. I swept her airway with my finger (eww) and then she was breathing.

The entire event lasted about 2 minutes, but it really did feel like forever. After I just hugged her and she shivered a bit and looked totally pathetic.

Stupid mutt.

She was up and around playing with Sheba half an hour later.