Monday, June 04, 2018

Reflection

I've been back home for a week now... long enough to start processing what I learned and experienced in Italy. Here are some of my observations/things that will stick with me:
  • Beautiful buildings, artwork, and rolling hills
  • Delicious, fresh food (especially tomatoes) that is thoughtfully prepared and presented
  • Heat and humidity reminiscent of my time in Texas
  • Lanes, turn signals, and speed limits all seem to be optional
  • The 40-ish tunnels between Rome and Macerata
  • The people don't acknowledge (smile/nod/greet) each other when they pass in the street - unless they genuinely know each other
  • Once you've been introduced to someone, they are very warm, friendly and smiley
  • They were very open about their strengths and weaknesses and open to questions
  • Everything is smaller there: cars, rooms, roads, elevators, doors...
  • Maybe not everything... the hills are pretty steep
  • There's an attention to detail in everything they create (art, architecture, food) which far surpasses anything I experience on a daily basis
  • The Mediterranean sun
  • Olive trees and vineyards
  • Solar farms
  • Cities on hills with centuries of history layered on top of each other
  • The amazing group of women with whom I shared this adventure
  • The Adriatic Sea
  • The clock tower
  • The doors and door knockers
  • Our university systems and government are very different, but we have a lot of the same issues
I learned more than I ever thought possible. I'm so appreciative of this opportunity, of the financial support I received, and for the new friends I made!