Thursday, January 07, 2010

Something Old and Something New

As you may have noticed on my Twitter, it's COLD here. Reminds me of Minnesota. I know I've had much colder (up to -60), but Colorado doesn't seem to stay quite as cold for quite as long as Minnesota. As a result, I've forgotten how it feels to shiver! I love "cool" weather and even "cold" weather, but my range of comfort stops at about -20. That's just plain uncomfortable/miserable.

As for the something new... We had book club tonight, where we discussed our latest book, Little Women, and we rolled our own sushi. Mine was beautiful and delicious! Nori (seaweed wrap), rice, yellow pepper, avocado, baby spinach leaves, shredded carrots, cucumber and cream cheese. Yummy-yum-yums! I can now make it myself and I actually enjoy it (minus the fish)!

::::::::::::::::::

My trip back to Texas was fun and productive. I went through some more boxes and "purged" things I hadn't even seen in 8 years. Found a "Time Capsule" letter 12th grade me wrote to future me for a Keyboarding class - apparently I was should have wound up as a marine biologist or a zoologist. I helped Mom and Dad in their goal of building a website for their fiber business. I also helped them with various computer/tv/cable/electronic issues. I made chicken parmigiana for my Italian family's Christmas dinner. I saw most of my family and quite a few friends.

One year is a long time to be away from somewhere, especially when that somewhere contains 90% of your family. I don't know if I can stand going back to Texas in the summer, but I might have to brave it... just so I'm not away from family/friends for so long.

Also, while at home, I contracted another sinus infection.. thanks to a "flue issue." Basically, I closed it because it was drafty and smokey smelling, but because Mom never touches it Dad didn't check before lighting a fire. Mom and I forgot to tell him we closed it so the entire house filled with smoke + Aspen's crappy, hyper-sensitive sinuses = Sinus Infection #3 (this year).

I've been on antibiotics and a steroid burst for most of the week. I'm just hoping I don't get worse and can make it through my big test on Saturday. This is test number 8 in my teacher licensing saga.