Tuesday, March 09, 2010

Cutbacks

We're all feeling it...

We're all hearing it...

"Tough economic times..."

That horrible grating sound of an empty bank account...

People are losing jobs...

We started out the week with an early morning staff meeting on Monday. The main topics of conversation: a. The two people in my building who have been told they're not rehired - one is being bumped for someone with seniority and the other's position is being cut. b. The principal also informed us that instead of 9 cuts throughout the district, it's looking more like 17 cuts.

Seventeen.

That's more than 10-15% of the district... How can we even function like that?

I don't know.

These are dark times for education.

I'm safe for now, but nobody is sure when/where more cuts will be coming.

They're calling a district wide staff meeting next Wednesday, after school, to discuss budget issues and projected cuts.

I'm going to keep my toes crossed. I'm not safe yet... and if I do wind up safe for this year there is NOTHING that says they won't cut me next year.

Scary.

And I feel really bad for the two women at my school who were cut... one of them has lived in the county for 30 years.