Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Educated!

I love my Kaylee dog. I don't think anyone who has seen the two of us together could deny that fact, but if you've met her in the flesh you know she often has an odor. I'm not saying she is the stinkiest thing on four legs, but she's probably second after skunks. Yeah, it's that bad.

In talking with a vet friend of mine this past weekend I learned several things:

1. Dogs hate human perfume/shampoo/scents - they trigger their fear instinct.

2. You shouldn't bath your dog more than about 3 times per year, no matter what shampoo you use. It dries out the dogs hair and skin, causing irritation. And you should NOT use human shampoo on a dog. (woops!)

3. Humans don't like the smells that those glands put off... well I did already know that.

4. There's a product out there for humans that is pleasing to both humans and dogs... Alpha Keri body oil. Yeah, the smell is somewhere between baby powder and "little old lady," but trust me - it's an improvement! You mix 1 part Alpha Keri with 15 parts water and rub it all over your puppy. You can do this every day if needed.