Monday, April 22, 2019

Fjords, waterfalls, flowers, and porpoises, oh my!

I arrived in Oslo on Saturday afternoon - heavily jet lagged - but in one piece, with my luggage. I call that a win.

On Sunday morning I flew into Sogndal. Even cloudy, windy, and cool, it was beautiful. I'm staying on a farm, in a 2nd floor apartment. There are two balconies, the one in the living room looks out over the fjord. I spent the afternoon and evening staring at the mountains and the water.

Today is Monday and I seem to have conquered my jet lag - just in time for a busy day of sightseeing.

I started out with a walk along the fjord and a visit with some sheep.




In the afternoon I received a tour of the local folk museum. They've assembled a variety of houses from the 17th century to the 1950's. Many of the older homes had sod roofs.


There was also a habitat for bees... Apparently these are becoming quite popular in Norway.


Next was a stop at the Kaupanger Stave Church.


Then, a trip to a 'real' waterfall (foss) - there are a ton of waterfalls around here... but apparently they don't really count unless they're a certain size... Say this size...


On the way to and from the waterfall we were treated to a dozen or so porpoises. A first! I wouldn't have known they were porpoises if my guides hadn't informed me they were "nise," not dolphins. Unfortunately, I didn't grab a picture of them. They were far enough away that you wouldn't have really seen anything anyway... but trust me, they look just like dolphins from a certain distance. :)

I finished the day with a BBQ at a friend's house. The food was delicious and so was her view!



Finally, here are the friendly neighborhood trolls: