Wednesday, January 29, 2003

I watched Monty Python - Quest for the Holly Grail all the way through today. I remember trying to watch it back in 9th grade with a friend who loved it and I was in complete misery. My roomy loves it and owns the DVD. She'd watched it twice this week already and I got a wild hair to try and watch it again. I figured if nothing else I'd know what she was talking about when she made references to it. I did chuckle quite a few times. The funniest part to me was perhaps very unintentional: when the monks are whacking themselves upside the head there is one who stumbles after hitting himself. THAT was pretty humorous. Contrary to what I remembered it didn't suck. It's not on my list of top movies, but I was pleasantly surprised. Just goes to show you how much a person's sense of humor can change in nine years.


Odd Thoughts:

"There's a first time for everything."
I've said this many, many times. If this is true then is this also true: "There's a last time for everything." I'd say it is but then what do I know.


A great story I found, of all places, on the homepage of Jeff Bridges

One day a farmer's donkey fell down into a well. The animal cried piteously for hours as the farmer tried to figure out what to do. Finally he decided the animal was old, and the well needed to be covered up anyway; it just wasn't worth it to retrieve the donkey. He invited all his neighbors to come over and help him. they all grabbed a shovel and began to shovel dirt into the well. At first, the donkey realized what was happening and cried horribly. Then, to everyone's amazement, he quieted down. A few shovel loads later, the farmer finally looked down the well, and was astonished at what he saw. With every shovel of dirt that hit his back, the donkey was doing something amazing. He would shake it off and take a step up. As the farmer's neighbors continued to shovel dirt on top of the animal, he would shake it off and take a step up. Pretty soon, everyone was amazed as the donkey stepped up over the edge of the well and trotted off! Life is going to shovel dirt on you, all kinds of dirt. The trick to getting out of the well is to shake it off and take a step up. Each of our troubles is a stepping stone. We can get out of the deepest wells just by not stopping, never giving up! Shake it off and take a step up!