Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Ceramics

So... I've been at this University for 6 years now, since the Fall of 2001. In that time I've considered taking ceramics, decided I REALLY wanted to take ceramics, and had to pass up ceramics multiple times because:

a) I couldn't get into it
b) I needed other classes to graduate
c) I didn't need/couldn't afford any extra credits as a Graduate student

Now, when I only have a 3 credit load for the Fall 2007 semester...
Now, when I get first dibs on registering as a graduate student...
NOW, I am FINALLY registered for ceramics.

And the budget meeting, which will determine whether the Arts program gets cut, is tomorrow.

Aside from my own ceramics greed, I really hope they don't cut the Arts program. I'm a big supporter/believer in the Arts. I think it's really sad that it's always one of the first things schools look at cutting: elementary schools, middle schools, high schools, and universities. I know they've made some cuts already in that dept and I realize it's not a cheap program, BUT... it's important. In this town that supports the arts, where the community vote yearly on artwork to be displayed downtown... At the university where art is displayed around every corner...