Friday, April 18, 2008

Interpretation

Last night I made a (rather long) list of things to do today. I had just started on it when I received a phone call from the University's Admissions Office. Today was the student orientation for incoming freshmen and there was a family with a deaf daughter. They needed an interpreter and someone gave them my name.

Now let me just clarify – I am not an interpreter. I don't know enough sign language and I've never been trained. I do know "conversational" ASL and can hold my own, but there's so much I don't know.

They were in a fix and needed someone "right now," so I told them I'd help. I did my best. The family was really nice and they kind of got a two-for-one, interpreter and guide. This took up my afternoon, but I really enjoyed helping and actually being able to use sign language again.

The lady from the Admissions Office had me come see her afterwards. She apologized that she couldn't pay me, because I'm a Graduate Assistant and I technically can't have another job on campus. I did get a free lunch and she gave me a free hat, t-shirt, Bucky the Beaver Bobblehead (adorable) and she paid my parking ticket. *cough* I thought she wanted me for a few minutes, not realizing I'd be there for the entire day and uhm yeah... meters run out.

In any case...
Yay!
Fun.
Educational.
ASL.
Nice people.
Bobblehead!