Monday, August 18, 2008

Thoughts on a new life...

When you know there's a big change coming in your life you try to prepare yourself for it.

I knew months in advance that I would be moving to Colorado and before I even accepted the job I tried to imagine what my life would be like here and I thought long and hard about what I would be leaving behind.

In preparation for the big move I made as many plans and lists as possible, I tried to think of all the things that would be different and how to prepare myself. At the same time, I tried to enjoy my time in MN, my friends, and not get so caught up in what was coming that I missed out on what was happening at that point in time.

Of course you can try to prepare yourself for you new experiences and the things you'll be leaving behind, but you can never fully prepare yourself. You never REALLY know what it will be like until it's happening to you.

I think I'm in the final stages of grieving for my life in MN. Yes. Grieving. That's kind of what it feels like. I had something amazing and I loved it and not it's gone. Like a puppy that died and you got a new one to replace it, but it's not quite the same. That's a horrible analogy. Sorry puppy...

Anyway... The last month has been extremely difficult (and at times painful), but I survived. That's what you do. You face new challenges and move on, or you go crazy.

And now, looking to the future I have new teacher training, lesson plans, meeting my new co-workers and my 300 students. I'll have plenty to keep me busy, but not as much as I was going to. I finally met with the District's technology guy (one of my bosses) and he told me about some changes that were implemented: Instead of me teaching my 300 students AND playing tech person for the entire school (and its 6 computer labs), I now only have to worry about teaching my 300 students and my ONE lab.

Awesomeness in a bottle!

I can't even tell you how much weight was lifted off of my shoulders during our one hour conversation. In addition to cutting my work in half, he also gave me a GREAT idea of exactly how and what I need to be teaching. This is the first time I've had any clue about that. I feel so much better.

For the first time in a long time, I'm actually looking forward to this. It was all exciting when I had the job offer and then slowly, but surely, reality set in and I was nervous, hesitant, even dreading it. I know the first year of teaching will be draining in every way imaginable, but I can do this.

I will do this.

And I might even like it.