Thursday, October 21, 2010

/sigh

12.5 hr day = long day

And I learned something unpleasant - something work-related. Can't say anymore than that, but.... You know that saying: "What comes around goes around"?

I sure hope it does.

On the plus side... I've got my kiddos using Google SketchUp, a 3D drawing program (think beginning CAD).

When I first looked at SketchUp I felt really intimidated. I'd never used anything like it before and I wasn't sure I could learn it, much less teach it to my students.

However, I found some awesome tutorials (some of the best video tutorials I've ever seen) and I learned the basics very quickly.

When I presented it to the kids I told them of the real-world applications of programs similar to this, which they were excited about. I was also very upfront about my lack of knowledge. We watched a couple of the beginning tutorials together and I walked them through creating a very simple chair. I told them that I was still learning this program and that we could learn together. I encouraged them to teach me new things they found (and they have been).

They LOVE it and the things they're coming up with are AMAZING! The project they're working on now is a challenge: create something in 3D that really showcases the 3D aspect of this program. I've got kids working on everything from skate parks to mansions, high-rises to basketball courts, and even a spaceship.

They're so into this project... I love seeing them excited about learning and excited about technology.