Sunday, March 30, 2008

The Marilyn Monroe Flying Experience

So I got up at the ungodly hour of 2:45 am (after maybe 2 hours of sleep) to trek on out to the Denver International Airport. I checked my luggage, printed my boarding pass and headed to security where I was rudely "puffered". They have these new GE machines you walk into, the door closes and air blows at you from all directions - and I do mean ALL directions. The machine reads the air quality (presumably for explosives, etc) and after 20 seconds or so it sends you on your way.

So ladies, you REALLY might want to think twice about wearing a skirt while flying in the future... I'm a blue-jean girl all the way, though I did have to hold down my shirt.

*chuckle*

Ah... technology.

Anywho... Running on almost no sleep for about two weeks now. Can't really recommend that. I love sleep. Sleep is my friend.

At least Denver International Airport has FREE wi-fi. Woot!

I did want to mention the wildlife I've seen:
*Deer
*Elk
*Bunny
*Rocky Mountain Goat
*Big Horn Sheep
*Loads of Mocking Birds
*Fox

Interesting story about the fox... When I was in Greeley my hotel was right next to this little pond. I was about to enter my hotel at around 9pm when I heard this horrible screeching/caterwauling sound. I looked around and across the street I saw a fox cowering from a domestic cat. I don't know who the sound came from, but the cat proceeded to hiss and spit and claw at the fox, who promptly backed off a few feet. He then stopped, looked back at the still hissing cat as if to determine if it was really worth it. The cat continued to hiss and spit and call the fox all sorts of nasty names and after a minute or so the fox gave up and ran back across the street, towards the pond, to wallow in defeat. Goooo kitty cat!

Less exciting story about deer. I took this one little road out in the country. It had a 65 mph speed limit and people were zooming past me. There were all these signs warning about wildlife, even a big lighted one like they use to warn about construction. On a 10-15 mile stretch of that road I saw 26 dead deer by the side of the road, quite a few live ones, and the one that jumped right out in front of me. It was on a soft curve of the road, with a guard rail and at least a 20 ft drop on the other side. He just came sailing over as graceful as can be. I slammed on my breaks, but the guy coming from the other direction didn't miss a beat. Deer's lucky he was so fast.

Which leads me to another two-fold conclusion. Coloradans are fearless. I mean yeah sure they drive on mountain roads, through all types of weather conditions and with loads of wildlife, but they also do it at extreme speeds. They go at least 10 mph over the speed limit at all times, even when the speed limit is 75 mph. Sheesh. You're really lucky to find a road with a 60 mph speed limit in MN. I guess if you've always wanted to drive on the autobahn, but can't make it to Germany you can always come to Colorado and drive I-70. It's not as fast, but it'll make your heart beat faster.

So my flight takes off in about an hour, then I've got a two hour layover in Minn (where I have to PAY for wi-fi - Bah!), then home. I get to pick Sheba up at 6pm and I'm sure she'll tell me all about it. And I'm supposed to bowl tonight at 7pm. Then teach at 8am tomorrow morning.

*ponder*

I could have planned this better.

Maybe I'll skip bowling. But then again it is the next to last week of league bowl.

*sigh*

So tired.

Hopefully I'll be able to sleep on the plane.

LOL I just got scared to death by a sparrow who flew right by where I'm sitting... IN the airport.