Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Stories

Snow today!

So many things happen at school and I want to share these stories with you, but I must respect my student's confidentiality. In order to do this I will name all of my students "student" and I'll use the pronouns (he/she) interchangeably.

I have a student who needs to be loved. By all accounts (and observations) he does not have a good family life. This student told me one time that "Everybody hates me." And I genuinely think he believes it. I told him "I don't hate you" and he seemed surprised by that. He's always in trouble, but today I "caught him being good" and rewarded him for it. That's what he needs - some positive attention for his good behavior and I'm making an effort to see he gets it. It's good for him and it makes me feel good because I'm helping him and showing him that someone cares about him and notices when he does good things.