Saturday, December 12, 2009

Bowling and Basketball

Last night was my first night with the new league, in a new town, with new group members.

Turns out I wasn't joining the team of the lady I knew, I was joining a completely different team - a husband and wife team - total strangers. They seem nice. We still need one more guy, but they were happy to have me to fill the open female spot.

I was super nervous to begin with, but everyone was so encouraging. I bowled somewhat close to the average I used to have in league... it has been 2 and a half years since I was on a league and a year and a half since I'd picked up a bowling ball.

It feels good to be bowling again.

The alley is OLD school... hand written scores with Elmo-like projectors to shine the scores up on the wall. There are only 6 lanes and the floor has spots where it has literally been worn through. I'm choosing to see it as "character."

This morning I worked for 5 hours at the Middle School Basketball Tournament. I ran the clock and kept score. I learned a LOT about basketball, got paid, and got a free lunch.