Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Long couple of weeks

- write-ups
- argumentative students
- overheard things I had to report
- more talk about budget cuts
- stress
- lack of sleep
- fights broken up
- major problems happening with kids' families

I really needed tonight.

I went to trivia with the new teacher from school and there were 5 other people on our team. We did pretty well.

I knew it was gonna be a good night when the first question was: "What country's native population refers to it as Aotearoa?"

Answer: New Zealand!

Next round, first question: "What's the sea that separates Australia and New Zealand?"

Answer: Tasman Sea

Third round, first question: "Aotearoa means 'Land of the long white THIS'"

Answer: cloud

Boo to the ya!

There was also a question in the third round about Sir Edmund Hillary's job before he climbed Mt. Everest... I had heard, but forgotten the answer - bee keeper.

In addition to the NZ questions I knew several other answers. It felt good :)

AND I learned that one of the guys who comes to trivia off and on knows sign language. He was talking to me and signed a word... I don't think he realized he was doing it. I signed my answer back and we both got excited. He knows A LOT more than me, because he grew up with it - he's mostly deaf in one ear. I hope he keeps coming so we can sign together!

Overall, it was a very good night and just what I needed.