Sunday, February 02, 2003

What a weekend.

Seven great explorers were lost yesterday.
I was in total shock when I heard this, as I'm sure everyone else was.
I vaguely remember when the Challenger and it's crew were lost in 1986, I was only 8 years old. Watching the footage of yesterday's accident brought back old memories. The wreckage is scattered all over east Texas and Louisiana.
My grandparents live just north of this area and the rest of my family live northwest of there so I am receiving updates from my parents. I am very sad for those that were lost and very thankful there were no more people injured than there was, but it is definitely a very bad situation.
My thoughts and prayers go out to the family and friends of those lost.

On a slightly cheerier not... I had a chain of new experiences yesterday.
My roomy and I went to see her mom yesterday and she took us out on the lake ice fishing. We DROVE onto the lake in her mom's giant Expedition. I'd seen people driving, parking, fishing, etc on the lake since I moved up here and I always say to myself "Those crazy Minnesotans! You'll never catch me out there!" But if you'd been around yesterday you would. Not only that but the second I had my line in the water I got a bite, a Walleye, the state fish. It was a baby and I'd already said the only way I'd do it is if I could catch and release, so we let it go. I had a couple other bites, but nothing reeled in. It got cold pretty fast when the wind picked up so we only stayed out there for about 45 mins. While we were out there I saw half a dozen parasailers going over the lake. I also got to hear the lake talk.... I had no idea. It sounded like somebody had their radio up too high and all I was hearing was the base from time to time. It was creepy but also really cool. So that was my Saturday :)