Tuesday, September 14, 2004

So much to blog, so little time

Almost 6 full weeks in New Zealand, with almost 5 full weeks of Student Teaching under my belt.

What an experience. All sorts of things have been happening; good, bad, and in between. I was sick last week and missed three days of class, Tues-Thurs.
Our school is doing a production this week, well half the school, with over 230 kids involved. I'm working backstage, doing microphones and trying to keep the kids in order, on stage at the right time, and whatnot. It's a lot of fun, excellent experience, but so incredibly tiring. I am always at school around 8 am and home by 6 ish, but with production I have to go back at 6:50 and am not home until after 9:30pm. Makes for a very long day. But! Really and truely, a good experience. I am enjoying it.

The lady I am staying with, Anne, went into the hospital on Sunday morning. She'd been sick all night and was having terrible tummy pains. Turns out she had gallstones and an infection in her galbladder. She's been in the hospital since, it's Weds afternoon here. They may let her out tomorrow night/evening.

I've had several more firsts... Don't think I'll tell about all of them *cough* most have been good though. I've been hanging out with Andrew a lot, but he's going back down to the South Island next Saturday, and I will only see him for two more days.
I leave Saturday morning to go to Sydney for a night - then fly to Cairns for a week, then back to Sydney for the rest of my holiday. I fly back to New Zealand on Friday, October 1st. I'm looking forward to a one-day cruise of the Great Barrier Reef, a rainforest walk, and who knows what else!
I'm sad he's going. We keep each other entertained :) It will be quiet when I get back from my trip. But! I do have several short trips planned around New Zealand. John is taking me to Taupo, a crater lake north of here, to go camping. He also took me out fishing again, last Saturday, on the rocks. A new experience, lots of standing and dodging the spray, but good. I saw dive-bombing seagulls! It's cool to watch them go under, you think they'd need to come up for air soon, but they keep after their prey until the emerge with a juicy fish of some sort.

So many incredible experiences, in such a seemingly short time. All the people, the place, the entire feeling of the last six weeks - and I'm sure the next nine. I don't want to leave. I won't want to leave. I must find a way to come back.
I'm hoping that after I have my masters, in two years (please?), I will be back in New Zealand, teaching. A lot can happen between now and then, and who knows if I will ever return. But honestly, I can't imagine not coming back. I could really see myself living here. And I've only been around Wellington. Wait til I hit the South Island, Whales, Penguins, Dolphins, Mountains, Fiordland... /sigh... I wanna go now!

Hope everyone at home is doing well. I managed to sneak a peek at Aya's blog just now. Sounds like all is going well for her! Makes me happy :) I need to talk to you chicky... I'll try to find time to call you during my Aussie trip.
Renee, good to hear from you :) will try to sneak a peek at your blog soon.
Thanks for the bagpipe link too Aya.
Gotta run. Need to eat lunch before the bell!