Tuesday, October 05, 2004

Would you like some cheese with that whine?

I remember being a pre-teen.
I hated being a pre-teen.
Early teens weren't any better than being a pre-teen.
I never wanted to relive my days as a pre-teen.
I'm in a class with 27 pre-teens.
Why?
Because I have to.

/sigh

I don't wanna!

Sassy and self-centered. That pretty much describes them on a bad day.
Wonderful, funny, smart, hard-working. That describes them on a good day.

Why can't every day be a good day?

I'm finding the load of paperwork involved in being a teacher quite stressful. And I'm not even in charge of ALL the paperwork - there are still some things my supervising teacher must do herself - I'm just in charge of all the planning and teaching for the next two and a half weeks.

It was going to be just two but I bargained to take three extra days of sole charge so I could have a 4-day weekend to go whale-watching on the South Island.

Nevermind me. It's not so bad really, I'm just exhausted and slightly annoyed at having to give 11 - 13 year olds a lecture on respecting me, their teacher - temporary or not. They have so much potential, can be funny, and very well behaved - but they've been pushing me every second for the past three days and quite frankly I'm sick of it. And after today they know it. Hopefully my lecture will have made a difference... if not... I don't know what I'll do.

It's now 5:30pm
I've been here since 8:00am
I need to go make some copies for tomorrow, find a ride home, sit down and do another 2 hours of planning for tomorrow - then probably pass out - wake up at 6:00am ready to go again.

Anyone else in favor of an international mandate for 4-day weekends?