Sunday, October 03, 2004

Good Old New Zealand

It's good to be back. I wish I could say home... I would make New Zealand my home, if I could. Maybe one day it will be... you never know!

I enjoyed my night at the Opera! Was awesome! I understood maybe 10 words of the entire thing of course, but the music was beautiful and made me think of the movie Oscar - The Barber of Seville is where the Figaro song came from.

Thursday flew by really, then I was up early on Friday to catch my plane. It boarded 20 minutes late, we sat on the tarmac for an hour and a half before we took off, and then three very bumpy hours later we landed - an hour through customs and I was free!

Saturday I slept in and then got to work on planning for this week at school - my first week of sole charge. Saturday night I went down to Wellington with a few girls and we went club-hopping - another new adventure. I slept in Johnsonville at a friend’s house and was picked up Sunday morning for another new adventure. I went to Ngawi to see the seals! SO INCREDIBLY CUTE! And they're RIGHT THERE > I got within 10 feet of them. You don't want to go right up next to them because they're pretty territorial, but they let you get that close before they start barking at you. Took lots of pictures, which I will post as soon as possible. Had an awesome day – picnic by the beach. It was gorgeous and I loved seeing the seals – LONG drive though.

Today was my first day of sole charge. Just me and 27 kids… It wasn't easy, but it wasn't horrible. I'm glad to have the first day over and done with and I'm looking forward to seeing the kids reactions as they realise that I'm it. I'm what they get.
Their regular teacher is out and about doing other things all day, leaving just me in the classroom. She is wonderful in helping me plan though! I'd be lost without her :) But when it comes to teaching, I'm the one who is in charge - for the next two weeks.