Thursday, July 19, 2007

The Game of Life

There are all sorts of changes afoot... "That's life" you say? Yes, but there are even more changes lately than usual.

There are a couple of job options that have popped up... POTENTIAL job options I should say.

I'm excited and terrified and anxious and uncertain and all those other lovely emotions that come with this sort of life change. I've been in the same place (in one job form or another) for five years now. It feels safe and comfortable and I'd be quite happy to stay here for another year, but while I've climbed the ladder a rung or two in the last couple of years there are no more rungs. I've reached to top. I can only keep this job for one more year and then I'll have to jump to another ladder. The question is do I go now or this time next year? I'm choosing now, but it really depends on these other potential job options.

I have a great deal of support from my current employers; they understand that I can't go on being a Graduate Assistant. They're encouraging me to find something else and offering good wishes and letters of recommendation, all while assuring me I'm making the right choice and I shouldn't feel like I'm abandoning this department. My boss even promised to hold my current position for me in case the other possibilities don't work out.

I'm a very, very lucky woman.