Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Mustangs, etc

I was reading Sunday's Denver Post and they had this big article about the "wild" mustangs in this country and how the BLM (Bureau for Land Management) is considering euthanizing some or selling them to the slaughterhouse.

You may or may not know this about me; I love horses. LOVE them. Want one desperately. When I was *much* younger my parents paid for me to have horseback riding lessons - just so I could be around them. We didn't have the money or a place to keep one ourselves.

In this article it stated that there were 4 wild horse sanctuaries in Colorado, the largest being the Sand Wash Basin in NW Colorado. This sanctuary holds 460-ish horses and it's a days drive from here. Having no new news on the movers we decided to check it out.

Wow.

Aside from the horribly desolate land they chose... I mean could they have found worse land for these horses? It was a wonderful experience. We actually got quite close to several of the horses.









We also saw other critters...
A coyote




Elk


Prairie Dogs




And on the way back we were treated to a few rainbows...




And a shepherd's wagon