Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Two sticks, two skis, one hill and me...

And the hill won.

I went skiing for the first time last Friday.
Yeah....
Owie is the first word that comes to mind. I put my skis on and was headed for the lift when I fell the first time. I got on the lift and made it off the lift and forward about 6 feet before I feel the second time. I fell at least three more times on the way down the hill. Let me also mention this was not the bunny hill - I've never had a lesson - I'm a giant klutz. At one point I went end over end, flying down the hill and I remember hearing something in my neck pop (thus the excruciating pain all weekend) and then, on that same fall, I skid down on my bare back - resulting in a red, scratched, scraped, sore back.
The sad thing is the skiing part was fun, but as soon as I lost control and went careening down the hill, knowing I was going to fall - all fun was replaced by a massive sense of terror and fear of breaking every bone in my body.
Miraculously, I didn't break anything - physically, though my pride will never be the same.
I'm still quite sore, but I can move without cringing now, which is a big improvement.
It took me almost an hour to get down the hill. Every time I fell I would have to take off both skis, usually one had fallen off, in order to get back up and then put my skis back on, without sliding down the hill or falling over.
I must say, Aya and D and his friend were all quite patient with me. I really was just going to watch my first time… but Aya talked me into trying it. Ugh… Owie… Sigh… It would have been fun if I could have not fallen so much or been in so much pain after that third fall.

To make matters worse, after I had removed my skis, picked up what dignity I had left, and was walking back to my car I fell and busted my left knee in the parking lot.
/SIGH
Oh, it gets better.
I went home, took a shower, changed, felt human again (despite the sore backside), picked up Aya's cousin, H, and was taking her to Aya's dorm… I stepped out of my car and made it (almost) one step onto the sidewalk when BAM, next thing I know I was laying, yes LAYING, on my backside, on the sidewalk, laughing hysterically. H was laughing as well, trying to pull me up and asking if I was alright - laughing… laughing… laughing…
Insult to injury.

Seriously... Friday was a new record, even for me.