Thursday, September 20, 2007

Starry eyed

There's a guest potter at school this week. Last night I went to his speech/slide show. Today I sat in for a few hours of his talk in the ceramics studio. His name is Jeff Oestreich and he's traveled all over the world. He'd mentioned spending 4 months in New Zealand and after his talk today I went up to him and asked him if he wanted to go back to NZ and we got to talking about how wonderful the people are, how beautiful the country is and how we both wish we could move there. We both had this dreamy look in our eyes and the same tone in our voices. I could tell we both feel the same way about NZ.

He told me it felt like home to him. I understand completely as I've been homesick for the past three years.

The difference... he gets to go back almost every year.