Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Subbing 9.0

Last Friday I subbed at HM as Librarian. I read books to kids, helped them find books to read, stacked books. It brought be back to my junior high years when I volunteered on Saturdays at the public library.

F
U
N
!

Sunday night was our second week of bowling. We won two and lost two. Not bad considering the team we were playing.

I've been so swamped with accreditation stuff that I've been working more hours than I should. They can't pay me more for my extra hours, so I'll just have to take some time off later.

Ceramics is going ok. I've got 4 things being fired as I type and if all goes well that will mean two projects done. The professor says I'm ahead of everyone else in my class. I go to the lab almost everyday. I love it. As for my bowls... well those first two I threw disappeared. I threw four more and the trashed one and another disappeared. /sigh If I find out who's taking my stuff I'm gonna.... uhm.... give them a really dirty look? I've only trimmed one of my bowls and I need to make a minimum of 6, so still lots to do.

If you're curious here's a basic run-down of the steps.
1. Make/mix the clay - we're fortunate because the advanced students make it for us, but the professor made sure we all know how to make it just in case.
2. Throw a piece on the wheel (or like my slam pots - by hand)
3. Let it dry for a couple of days
4. Trim it up a bit - hollow it out (slam pots) - finishing touches
5. Let it dry to "Greenware" stage where it can be fired
6. Fire piece
7. Piece comes out as Bisque fired - time to put on the glaze(s)
8. Fire piece again

The entire process takes about a week - or more, depending on when your stuff makes it into the kiln.

This stuff really doesn't come naturally for me, but like I told the professor, I'm having so much fun that I don't have to make myself come to the studio. I wake up and say - ooo I get to go make some more bowls today or I get to trim my bowl or it's glaze time!

Maybe I'll do another slam pot - or two. That's more sculpture than thrown and I have a couple of ideas.