Thursday, July 17, 2003

You know just because they speak English in another country doesn't mean you'll be able to understand everything they say, slang and otherwise. I was scanning the The New Zealand Herald online and found a word I had never heard of before, spate using context I was able to get the jest of it, but I looked it up to be sure. The word was used in referenct to a recent spree of arsons. In other news there is a man in a coma after being attacked and the police are appologizing to a rape victim for a bungled investigation. Guess some things are constant throughout the world.
Hmmm looks like I need to learn how to convert Celsius to Farenheit as well as the exchange rate for New Zealand money to American. Ah so much to do. Need to get my passport... Yep yep... I will be going. I'm keeping a positive outlook.

In other news... I went to see Twelfth Night last night with a bunch of people from school at the local theater. It was quite fun. I went out to dinner before hand with everyone ate at an Italian restraunt. During dinner the subject of my not receiving an RA position, but rather being an alternate, came up and a professor, who happen to have given me a glowing recommendation, overheard. He was very upset that I didn't get it. He has some sway at the University and let's just say he is used to getting his way. I wouldn't be surprised if he called somebody to complain... *gulp* It was kind of funny... but mostly I just felt all glowy that he was really batting for me and was genuinely upset I didn't receive the job. A little while later he told me I should go talk to the secretary at the Ed office and tell her he sent me to see about a job. I politely declined as I already have two jobs scheduled for this fall. Anywho, it made me feel great that he's so supportive of me. I love that. Can't have too many of those kind of people in your life. I've got my parents, Aya, her family, that professor, and some other friends... Knowing people care is the greatest compliment you can receive.