Thursday, January 20, 2005

Darby Conley

Warning plug incoming

(not that I get anything from it - I'm just sharing the Bucky luv)

Who is that masked man?
Well... he's not exactly masked, just behind the scenes.
He's the writer/illustrator/creator of the comic Get Fuzzy.

I love his sense of humor - I love that the comic is about animals (a cat and a dog) - I love the way he portrays the animals - I love the comic!

Bucky: hilarious, rude, slightly crazy, schemer with what I like to call 'cattitude'
Satchel: sweet, loyal, trusting, forgiving, huggable puppy with a good heart
Rob: patient, witty/sassy/cheeky, human 'guardian' of Bucky and Satchel. But why does he put up with Bucky's shenanigans? Does he really love the cat in spite of all his cattitude? Or is it because he knows no one else could ever put up with him?

Put them together and you get the most dysfunctional human-animal household and a lot of laughs.

I love the one-liners and the quotes of Bucky: "Sweet cracker sandwich" etc...

I remember the first Get Fuzzy I ever saw - my dad showed me a clipping from the newspaper back home: Rob tells Satchel to get Bucky. Satchel replies that Bucky won't come - he's just laying there. Rob tells him to pick him up. There's a picture of Bucky laying on his back, legs in the air, claws out - and Satchel replies, "But he's laying pointy side up."
I'm really not doing the comic justice there - but it was funny enough to capture my interest - lots of giggling and whatnot. I went looking and found a site online (see link to right) where I can check it everyday and I do! I love my Get Fuzzy!

I found an interview with Darby Conley which gave me some insight to the man behind the comic.


/steps off her soap box

But seriously, if you like animals (cats and dogs) and funny pop-culture references then I would highly recommend you check out Get Fuzzy.