Friday, September 08, 2006

I love old things!

Did you hear the squeal of delight?
My mom sure did - as I was on the phone with her when it happened....
(And no I didn't get my test scores yet - though I called ETS and they say they mailed them Tuesday)

I was on my way back from checking my mail when I stopped by a house that's for sale and was having a garage sale. It's a cute little tan house with a brick fireplace (with vines creeping up it). I was looking for a bookshelf but found something else instead. They had this OLD record player and it was only $20.00 and I LOVE records and I've been wanting one for a long time.... so I asked the guy to hold it for me and waited for Aya and D to get off work to help me move it. We got it back to my house and couldn't get it to work. We went out to dinner and when they dropped me back off I played around with it for a bit - called my mom and asked what she knew about record players - and then *SQUEAL* got it to work myself! And it's AWESOME!

They had kept the sign and the price tag - they paid $249.95 for it about 40 years ago. The wife wanted a record player so bad after they got married and even though she only made .75 cents an hour she set up a payment plan of $5.00 a month for this beauty!


It has built-in speakers and a storage space for records.


It has a light on the inside - that still works.


It plays 16, 33, 45, and 78! It plays 10-12 records at a time - depending on size. And it has an auto-play feature.


tee hee hee heeeee

See, when my parents brought me home from the hospital they put me in my crib and put on a John Denver record. My childhood was filled with record music. I even had my own little player (no idea whatever happened to that) but I've been missing the crackly-popping-goodness of records for years now.

I bought two records from the same people I got the player from - Bing Crosby's Christmas - what better voice to test out the player - and an old compilation record that has the song Convoy.

*dance*

Now I need to have a retro-party! Everyone has to dress like they're from the 50's and 60's... I need to get my poodle skirt from home.... *plans forming*