Saturday, November 20, 2004

Plans?

Was hard saying goodbye to all the kids - and the teachers, though I know I'll see them one more time. I've been invited back for the big barby on the last day of school.

Flew to Christchurch yesterday and drove down through Ashburton - stopped at the Ashford Homestead - saw lotsa fiber and lotsa wheels, drooled a bit. Lovely little building - great feel to it and a small room filled with all sorts of old Ashford wheels. They had an old steam train blowing away as I drove out of town - thought of Grandaddy JB.
Went on to Oamaru - GORGEOUS little old town. Spent the night there - saw a penguin colony - only one penguin. Tons of old buildings to see and a good-feeling town.

I still need to do that one last paper, but I'll manage.


Drove down to Dunedin today.
Spent the morning in the Otago museum - amazing place.
I saw their Everest exhibit - Did you know the guy who was the first one to climb Everest, Sir Edmund Hilary - is a Kiwi!? If you did you were one step ahead of me, I just learned that today. They had loads of exhibits and I spent about 3 hours strolling around there.
Oh and just outside, as I was going in - I met the biggest freaking dog I've ever seen - a St. Bernard named Avalanche - because he goes straight through things, not around them - and he weighs 85 kilos... BIGGEST freaking dog! Was so lovable, absolutely gorgeous! Let's put it this way - he came up to my belly button and I could just barely reach my arms around his chest. BIG! A leaner too! Like to have knocked me over :)

Strolled around Dunedin this afternoon - drove a bit too.
Just posting and checking emails while guy is making bookings for my tour of the sounds and Stewart Island - Nz's "Third Island" - and the glaciers... maybe - if I have time.

Dunedin has an old Scottish culture - lots of great buildings, including a castle which I'll go see tomorrow.

At this point I'm just hoping I can see everything I want to - without rushing myself too much.
I was going to go unplanned - hey I made it to the second day without planning.... :) But you know me /shrug

Less than a month and I'll be back home... not sure how I feel about that. Happy to see family and friends, sad to leave NZ and friends....
Anywho, I've got another few weeks before I have to think too hard on that one.

Hope all's well with you guys.
See you at the holidays!