Saturday, November 27, 2004

Unbelievable

I really wish I was a poet or a great writer or something - so that I could wow you with words, to share with you the unbelievable beauty of Milford Sound.
I went on the Milford Wanderer, a sailing/motor ship (so I'm not big on boat types) but anyways - we're drifting through this river-like area - super clear water. On either side of us are towering mountains - climbing strait out of the water. We saw Fijordland Penguins and New Zealand fur seals.
So many waterfalls. On the drive up and in the sounds - More waterfalls than I've ever seen in my entire life.
Glaciers. I saw my first glacier! Hanging onto the side of a mountain for dear life - looks blue-ish - instead of white snow it's blue ice! Coooooooool!
The bus I went on - only 10 of us - a cozy group of people from England, India, Germany, one lady from NZ and myself. They all chatted with me and were very friendly. One group invited me to eat lunch with them :)

We were quite lucky - weather-wise - while it wasn't a bright sunshiney day it wasn't raining (until we were driving back). And it wasn't too windy or too cold either. Very lucky - smooth waters.

On the way back we saw a Kea. Hilarious. I totally get why they say, "Cheeky as a Kea." They love shiney things and aren't afraid of people. Hopped right onto the side mirror of a car and was checking the driver out through the window.

Still sniffling and sneezing and coughing - got almost no sleep last night. Gonna call it a day - early. Gotta shake this thing.