Thursday, November 04, 2004

Reaching out...

I was out at two different schools this week; one of the schools I checked out was of a different decile - economic class. I saw their new entrants and year 1 classes, ages 5-6 years old. They were cute but a little more needy than I'm used to - as they are at that age. At the other school I saw a year 7/8, a year 5/6, and a year 3/4. I've also been into a year 3/4 classroom at my school. I am working on going to see some other teachers rooms as well at this school. It's time for me to go outside my little 7/8 world - my 'comfort zone.' Tis a great way to get new ideas and a feel for kids at other ages and what they need. So far it has only confirmed my desire to teach in the year 3 - 6 or grade 3 - 5 (maybe 6). They're a bit more independent than the young ones, but not as 'attitudinal' as the older kids.
I only have two weeks of student teaching left! Eeeeep! and then two weeks to travel around NZ > I've just bought my tickets to fly down to Christchurch and then I'll rent a car and drive around down there for the majority of the two weeks.

Wow, I just realized how many numbers are in this post :)

I'm still waiting to hear about my acceptance to grad school.
I'm also waiting to hear if it is possible to stay here a bit longer - I contacted my travel agent in MN and asked him to look into it.