Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Some thoughts on blogs...

You can put advertisements on your blog and make money for it. Why should I subject what few readers I have to more annoying advertisements? One of the things I love about having a blog as my homepage is the lack of advertisements. Sure, there is a small banner at the top for Blogger, but it's minimal advertising. And yes, I have chosen to add links to different sites on the right-hand side, but they serve two purposes:
1. Since I use my blog as my homepage they are easy links for sites I use the most.
2. By browsing through these links readers see what interests me, thus getting to know me better.

Speaking of readers...
Who do I have a blog?
First, it is my homepage; an easy way for me to keep track of links I use often.
Second, I like to write my thoughts and experiences down. In the past I have kept written journals and for a while I kept one on the computer.
But why do I want these thoughts and experiences out there for anyone to see?
I know my parents read my blog, but I talk to them every other day (at least).
I know Aya reads my blog, but I talk to her quite often as well.
So none of these people need to read my blog to keep in touch with me.

I've read blogs that are funny, deep and poetic. Blogs that make a political statement. Blogs with very little text, but lots of pictures and blogs.
I don't write so good ;)
I'm definitely not poetic and I refuse to talk about politics.
I'm not particularly witty, although I'm quite good at amusing myself.

Maybe that's what it all boils down to. I enjoy blogging. I like the freedom it provides me in links and pictures and writing style. I can make up words and keep track of experiences...