Monday, June 12, 2006

Where I've been...

Welp...
I made another trip to Moorhead this last Wednesday for work. I volunteered to drive everyone over there - everyone else was sitting at the table, staring at our boss in that - "I haven't had any caffeine yet and you want me to do what?" - Face.... you know the one.
After an hour on the road we met a rock-hauler coming the opposite direction and I flinched and the girl in the passenger seat squaked a bit as a ginormous rock came flying at her face. Yup. Huge chip in the windshielf of the camp van. I felt bad, but what could I do? (I was just really glad that it was their van and not my car - how bad is that?)

Thursday I spent the day in a CPR class and a First Aid class. *cringe* "This is what you do when someone has something large and pointy in their eyeball/protruding from their eyeball..." *twitch* How to make a sling... Wrap a gushing wound... You get the picture.
Oh well. Passed both tests (without a single missed question!) and I'll be getting my paperwork in the mail soon.

Friday morning was van training (a little late considering I've driven quite a bit already - but not with kids in the van). When it's raining and dark and you have 7-8 kids in the van do not speed. Watch for critters. Use common sense. Got it. I've been driving vans forever. I learned to parallel park in mom's ginormous van. (Yes! I just used ginormous twice in one post!)

Friday afternoon I drove up north for Libby & Spike's (Mike's) wedding. Chris and Ash were in his truck, hauling the pop-up camper and Dougster rode with me. He slept most of the time - through his cell phone - through the bumpy and wind-y roads - through his voicemail alert.... but the three or so times that Chris chimed in on the walkie-talkie Doug's head would pop up and he'd look around all paranoid. They've known each other for years (since Kindergarten) and they're always doing things to each other = paranoia. As soon as Doug saw that nobody was doing anything to him he passed back out. I also found it rather amusing that out of the four pillows I had in the back seat he chose the one with the Care Bear pilow case.


After setting up the pop-up camper (which was neat to see - I'd always wondered how they worked) we started a fire, huddled up and made smores.

It was a pretty campsite - next to a small pond - they had a playground (which Ash and I took full advantage of). Slept ok-ish that night in the camper. We kept ourselves entertained the next day and then went to the wedding - which was loverly.

Amazing. In the middle of nowhere - literally - way out in the country - there is this gorgeous little Catholic church.

Beautiful bride...


And the inside of the church was very ornate..




This was my first Catholic... anything (wedding-mass-church-event).

Reception afterwards and then the "Social Hour" - during which time a few people decided to take it upon themselves to partake in the customary decoration of the Groom's vehicle.


I snapped a shot of the sunset - since the Bride and Groom were trapped indoors.


Then dancing until midnight.
And I actually danced.
Some.
Seriously.
Or at least I attempted to. I'm not really sure if the flailing about that I was doing really can be considered dancing. I did the dollar dance with the Bride and one with the Groom - who twirled me like four times - which was fun cuz my skirt swooshed out all neat-like :) Then I flailed about some more until Renee took it upon herself to teach me how to dance properly. Then she tested me out with Doug. And then we all collapsed back at the table until a little before midnight. Everyone was tiring down and so we headed back to our little pop-up camper for a good nights sleep. I got up early and headed back home since I had to work yesterday afternoon.

Last night was my first time with kids for CLV - doing the weekend/overnight thing. There were only two girls yesterday. I entertained them (along with my new co-worker) and went to bed a bit early - luckily the girls were tired and passed out early as well. Hilarious to be sleeping in the dorms again - but I'm still used to it since I passed right out and slept straight through the night. Our floor is the one right below where I spent 2 years being an RA - I felt like I was right back at home - and it was good to see some familiar RA/resident/friends.

Up this morning (not too early thankfully) and then sent them off on the bus at 12:30. Ran home for lunch - then to work at the lab at 1pm and here I am. Until 4pm. Of course it's now 2:40 and it's taken me that long to catch up on emails, blogs, comics, and select pictures, cut them down, and add them into this post. Sweet. I only have a little over an hour of work left and then I'm going home and passing out! Oh. But I should watch Dr. Who first! (Thank goodness for VCRs!)