Friday, December 02, 2005

Puppy Power!

Is it strange that I reallllllly want to find a place to live where I can have a dog?
I was thinking about this before I lost my baby Jake, knowing I couldn't take him from his life in Texas and bring him to this frozen tundra. After his passing I want it even more. I miss having a little buddy to run errands with, snuggle up with, play with... and I know there will never be another Jake, but there could be another dog. Another four-legged friend. Another... companion.
Fantasizes...
Should I get a pure bred? Or another mutt... love those heinz 57's. I should go to the pound or humane society or find a stray... find one that really needs me. I should find one I have an instant connection to, like Jakester.
I'll never forget the first time I saw him. The pet store next to my parents shop was having a Humane Society Adoption Day. A little boy was holding him under his front arms, the poor dog was dangling about and the mom was yelling at her son to hold him properly. I was in the mindset that I HAD to have a kitten, but my dad suggested this little dog in a kennel (the same dangly one I'd seen earlier). The lady warned us that he was very skittish so we took him next door to my parents shop. She opened the kennel door and he peeked out at us. My parents stayed far away and the woman hid behind the kennel. I called to him, coaxing him out of his safe little box. He came over to me, shivering slightly. I put my hands on him and spoke soft words of comfort and that was it. I was smitten and he had found a trustworthy human. Someone who would never let anything bad happen to him. It took him over a week to come to my mom and years (literally) before he would come to my dad without shivering uncontrollably. He had been abused before he came to us. Horribly abused, we assume by a man. He never liked sitting in laps and he was always afraid of men, cowering behind me whenever one came in the room. Yet he was not a coward. He scared the living daylights out of me one time when a cat that we'd taken in (trying to find another home for it) hissed and spit at me - he chased it around the house barking and growling. Mom and I thought he was going to bite the cat - and were afraid the cat would shred him. He growled menacingly at anything he saw as a threat to me. He was scared of his own shadow, but he would have protected me at any cost.
(Hmmm.... digress much?)
Only dog I ever saw who loved to play Duck, Duck, Goose.
/smile
Silly puppy.

So yeah... I miss having a dog. I love cats, but if I had to pick one or the other it'd be a Dog. Hands down.

When I move out of the dorms I have to find a place where I can have a dog.